Health issues caused from mould growth in your home

Black Mould Wall - Wall Insulation Service

Having mould growth in your home can be a costly and dangerous problem. Black mould, also known as Stachybotrys, can release spores into the air as it feeds on organic materials common in most houses. These spores, if inhaled, can lead to a range of mild to series symptoms for your family.

The most common symptoms of black mould are associated with your respiratory response, however, symptoms may be more severe if you have a mould allergy.

  • Regular coughing or sneezing
  • Sore or itchy eyes
  • Sore throat
  • Skin rashes
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Headaches

If left untreated, prolonged exposure to black mould can cause more serious or dangerous health issues. If you are noticing nausea, vomiting and/or bleeding in the lungs and nose, this is usually a sign that urgent treatment is required. If you are seeing any of these indicators you must take swift action and approach your medical practitioner immediately.

Serious black mould infestations can be very costly to remove and may require a professional. In some situations, renovations may be necessary to replace damaged materials to resolve the problems; which is why we recommend taking steps to address the underlying causes of black mould quickly.

Treatment for mould growth

There are several treatments for mould allergies or acute mould exposure symptoms including nasal sprays, rinses and allergy shots. Antihistamines are also available from most pharmacies which can help your immune response.

If you are experiencing any mould related symptoms it is best to seek advice from your local medical practitioner immediately.

What can I do to remove black mould?

If you start noticing mould growing on your walls it is usually an indication of high levels of moisture in your home. In New Zealand, this is likely caused by poor insulation and/or ventilation in your home. It may be helpful to have an expert come and do a healthy home assessment to determine any weak points that need addressing.

Mould usually occurs in damp or moist places throughout the home. That is why you will typically start noticing mould growth in bathrooms and kitchens.

Bathrooms tend to be the worst culprit as the room can be badly ventilated, leading to mould growth. Having a good extractor fan in the bathroom is critical in removing excess moisture from the room.

Likewise, a good extraction system in the kitchen can help remove moisture caused by cooking and food preparation.

Another major factor is to do with poor insulation in your walls. If you find condensation regularly building up overnight or damp walls, this usually means there is no insulation in the walls. Hollow cavities in your walls allow moisture to get in and become trapped creating the perfect environment for mould growth. Insulating your walls is one of the best ways to control the moisture in your home. Using a blown insulation product like CosyWall Insulation is a great way to fix this issue.

CosyWall can easily blow into your walls from either the inside or outside of the home without having to remove the linings. Once installed, it helps seal your home’s thermal envelope and stabilises your home’s temperature.

Talk to an expert

If you think you need some help from an expert feel free to have a chat with one of our CosyWall Insulation team members. They can help you organise a free home assessment and provide you with the best solution for your home. Email us on or contact us today to find out more.

Ready to chat?

If you would like a quote or have a general question we'd love to chat. Fill out the form below and one of our team will be back in touch as soon as possible.