Health issues caused from Mould
Having mould in your home can be a costly and dangerous problem and can lead to a number of serious health issues. Black mould, also known as Stachybotrys can release spores into the air as it feeds on organic materials common in most houses. These spores if inhaled can lead to a range of mild to series symptoms for your family. You might be curious about what causes black mould to grow in your home anyway? Too much moisture in your home is usually the catalyst and damp or wet walls or condensation build-up on the windows and sills are obvious signs you have a problem.
The most common symptoms of mould are associated with your respiratory response however symptoms may be more severe if you have a mould allergy.
- Regular coughing or sneezing
- Sore or itchy eyes
- Sore throat
- Skin rashes
- Chronic fatigue
If left untreated, prolonged exposure to mould and cause more serious or dangerous health issues. If you’re noticing nausea, vomiting and/or bleeding in the lungs and nose, this is usually a sign that urgent treatment is needed. If you’re seeing any of these indicators, it’s important that you take swift action and approach your medical practitioner immediately.
Serious mould infestations and be very costly to remove and may require a professional. In some situations, renovations of your home may be necessary to replace damaged materials to resolve the problems which is why we recommend taking steps to address the underlying causes of mould quickly.
Treatment for mould health issues
There are several treatments for mould allergies or mould exposure symptoms including nasal sprays, rinses and allergy shots. Antihistamines are also available from most pharmacies which can help your immune response.
If you are experiencing any mould related symptoms, its best to seek advice from your local medical practitioner immediately.
What can I do to remove mould?
If you start noticing mould growing on your walls it’s usually a good indication of high levels of moisture in your home. In New Zealand, this is likely caused by poor insulation and/or ventilation in your home. It may be helpful to have an expert come and do a healthy home assessment to determine any weak points that need addressing.
Mould usually occurs in damp or moist places throughout the home so the usual rooms you’ll start noticing mould growth is in the bathroom and kitchens.
Bathrooms tend to be one of the more common places and the room isn’t well ventilated this will quickly lead to mould growth. Having a good extractor fan in the bathroom is critical to removing moisture from the room.
Likewise, a good extraction system in the kitchen can help remove moisture that is caused by cooking and food preparation.
Another major issue is to do with poor insulation in your walls. Poor insulation can lead to condensation issues or damp walls. This is the perfect environment for mould growth and usually means there is no insulation in the walls. Insulating your walls is probably the best way to control the moisture in your home and using a blown insulation product like CosyWall Insulation is a great way to fix the issue.
CosyWall can easily be blown into your walls from either the inside or outside of the home without having to remove the linings. Once installed, it helps seal your homes thermal envelope and will stabilise the temperature of your home.
Have a look at our video which talks a little bit about how uninsulated walls can lead to the growth of mould in your home.
Talk to an expert
If you think you need some help from an expert feel free to have a chat with one of our CosyWall Insulation team members. They can help you organise a free home assessment and provide you the best solution for your home. Email us on email@example.com or contact us today to find out more.