How to keep my family healthy this winter
Winter is coming and no doubt you are wanting to keep your family healthy and well! In this article, we cover a few ways you can prepare your home for the winter and ensure you avoid those viruses!
Good insulation and an efficient heating system can go a long way in keeping your home warm and dry and your family healthy.
Insulate to keep your home warm and reduce your energy bills!
Insulation is a great solution for keeping your house dry and healthy and, overall, comfortable to live in. An uninsulated house can lead to many health issues caused by mould growth, condensation and dampness. Fully insulating your home ensures your thermal envelope is closed. This means your home will be easier to heat in the winter and will help reduce your overall energy bills.
While most homes have insulation in the ceiling or floors, many New Zealand homes do not have adequate wall insulation. A lack of wall insulation can account for over 33% of your home’s energy loss so it is important to address this issue. A blown or injected insulation product like CosyWall Insulation is easy to install and doesn’t require the removal of linings.
Keep your home moisture-free
A damp home can be bitterly cold in the winter and lead to several health issues for your family. Too much moisture in your home can cause damage to your floor coverings and walls and can even damage your furniture and clothes. Make every effort to eliminate moisture from your home by following these simple steps.
- Dry your washing on a clothesline when you can
- If you have to use a dryer, make sure it is vented outside.
- Have shorter showers and make sure your extractor fan is left on for a few minutes after you finish.
- Leave a window open in your bathroom for extra ventilation while in use.
- Use lids on your pots and pans when in use. This stops extra steam and moisture escaping while you’re cooking.
- Have a heat pump installed. Heat pumps are more energy-efficient than traditional gas or oil heaters and don’t release moisture into the air.
- Regularly wipe down your windows and walls if you notice condensation forming.
- Open your windows and doors for a few minutes each day to let fresh air in and ventilate your rooms without extraction fans.
- Keep mattresses off the floor by ensuring they have a base.
Practice good hygiene to keep your family healthy.
There is no substitute for good hygiene as a defence against viruses and bugs. Hand washing is one of the simplest and most effective ways to stop the spread of germs. Use warm water and lots of soap and make sure you’re scrubbing long enough. Make sure you have fresh towels and make sure your hands are dry after washing.
Stock up on fresh fruit and veggies
Yes, a healthy diet is of paramount importance to bolstering your immune system. Winter is one of these times where desserts and comfort foods are in high demand but make sure you keep a balanced diet. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables during winter will provide that added defence necessary to help your family healthy once the cold sets in.
A healthy family is a well rested family – make sure they’re getting plenty of sleep!
A great nights sleep helps you stay positive and stress-free. Getting into bed at a reasonable time and ensuring an uninterrupted sleep is a sure-fire way to stay healthy. Don’t forget to regularly wash your sheets and make sure your rooms are dry, well-insulated and dust-free. Keeping a healthy bedroom is one of the best things you can do to stay healthy and well this coming winter.