fbpx
MENU

Understand what causes black mould and what you can do about it

black mould in home

Mould is a form of fungus which can be black, white, orange, green or purple. They are small organisms that can live almost anywhere indoors or outdoors and reproduces lightweight spores that travel through the air.

Most of us are exposed to small, harmless amounts of mould every day, however, when these little spores land on a damp spot in your home, it can start to grow. Prolonged exposure or exposure in high amounts can lead to serious health issues.

Health issues caused by mould

Many people are unaware that black mould can cause health issues. When mould is found in high levels inside your home it can cause allergies, lead to asthma attacks and in severe cases even lead to respiratory infections. The deadliest mould is called Stachybotrys which is more commonly referred to as “black mould”. This is one of the most dangerous types of mould and can cause flu-like symptoms, diarrhoea, headaches, memory loss and severe respiratory damage.

How does black mould grow?

For black mould to grow indoors, it needs moisture and food. Black mould tends to thrive in warm and frequently moist environments such as your kitchens and bathrooms. Moisture is a key factor influencing mould growth indoors. Controlling indoor moisture can dramatically help to limit its growth. Moisture control is crucial as, in the right conditions, mould can begin to grow indoors in as short as 24 to 48 hours. One of the best ways to control moisture in your home is to fully insulate it, ensuring its thermal envelope is sealed. While most people have wall and floor insulation, typical New Zealand houses lack wall insulation. Uninsulated walls can easily let moisture into your home.

Black Mould does not need a lot of water to grow. A little condensation in a bathroom or around your windows can be enough for mould to start growing. Common sites for indoor mould growth include bathroom tiles and grout, the corners of your walls, areas around windows, near leaky plumbing, and around sinks. The most common causes of moisture in your home include roof leaks, condensation due to high humidity, poor insulation, cold spots in a building, or leaks in plumbing fixtures.

Besides moisture, mould also needs food in the form of nutrients to grow. Mould can grow on virtually any organic substance. Most buildings are full of organic materials that mould can use as food, including many building materials and household furnishings.

What can you do to avoid mould growth in your home?

Weather conditions in New Zealand widely vary between the summer and winter months making it difficult to control moisture and condensation.

One of the best ways to control moisture in your home is to fully insulate it, ensuring its thermal envelope is sealed. While most people have roof and floor insulation, typical New Zealand houses lack wall insulation and uninsulated walls can easily let moisture into your home.

CosyWall Insulation is an excellent insulation product that can be installed in virtually any New Zealand home. It is blown into the wall through small holes from either the inside or the outside of the home which are then patched up following the installation so you’ll never know the process was done. You will instantly notice a much more stable inside temperature which, among the many other benefits, will help you control the moisture inside the home. Controlling moisture in your home will in turn help prevent black mould in the future.

Contact the team at CosyWall Insulation today for a free assessment of your home.

Ready to chat?

If you would like a quote or have a general question we'd love to chat. Fill out the form below and one of our team will be back in touch as soon as possible.