fbpx
MENU
FROM THE BLOG | What Causes Black Mould

What Causes Black Mould

Mould growth inside your home

Mould is a form of fungus which can be found in black, white, orange, green or purple. They are small organisms which can live almost anywhere indoors, or outdoors and reproduces lightweight spores that travel through the air.

Most of us are exposed to mould everyday however it’s usually harmless in small amounts however when it lands on a damp spot in your home, it can start to grow and this can lead to serious health issues.

Health issues caused by mould

Many people are unaware that black mould can cause health issues. When mould is found high levels inside your home, it can cause allergies, lead to asthma attacks in some cases even lead to infections in some people. The deadliest mould is called Stachybotrys, which is more commonly referred to as “black mould”. This is one of the most dangerous types of mould and can cause flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, headaches, memory loss and severe respiratory damage.

How does black mould grow?

For black mould to grow indoors, it needs moisture and food. Black mould tends to thrive in warm and frequently moist environments such as your kitchens and bathrooms. Moisture is a key factor influencing mould growth indoors and controlling indoor moisture can dramatically help to limit its growth. Moisture control is crucial as mould can begin to grow indoors in as short as 24 to 48 hours when conditions are right. A great way to control moisture in your home is to fully insulate your home, ensuring its thermal envelope is sealed. While most people have roof and floor insulation, typical New Zealand houses lack wall insulation, and uninsulated walls can easily let moisture into your home.

Black mould does not need a lot of water to grow. A little condensation, in a bathroom or around your windows can be enough for mould to start growing. Common sites for indoor mould growth include bathroom tiles and grout, the corners of your walls, areas around windows, near leaky plumbing, and around sinks. Most common causes of moisture in your home include roof leaks, condensation due to high humidity, poor insulation, cold spots in a building or leaks in plumbing fixtures.

Besides moisture, mould also needs nutrients, or food, to grow. Mould can grow on virtually any organic substance. Most buildings are full of organic materials that mould can use as food, including many building materials and household furnishings.

What can you do to avoid mould growth in your home?

New Zealand’s widely vary between the summer and winter months making it difficult to control moisture and causing condensation issues.

A great way to control moisture in your home is to fully insulate your home, ensuring its thermal envelope is sealed. While most people have roof and floor insulation, typical New Zealand houses lack wall insulation, and uninsulated walls can easily let moisture into your home.

CosyWall Insulation is an excellent insulation product that can be installed in virtually any New Zealand home. It’s blown through small holes into the walls from either the inside or the outside of the home which are patched up following the installation, so you’ll never know the process was done. You will instantly notice a much more stable inside temperature which among the many other benefits, will help you control the moisture inside the home which will help prevent black mould in the future.

Contact the team at CosyWall Insulation today for a free assessment of your home.

Ready to chat?

If you would like a quote or have a general question we'd love to chat. Fill out the form below and one of our team will be back in touch as soon as possible.